Saturday, October 16, 2010

A Work of Artifice

Marge Piercy

The bonsai tree
in the attractive pot
could have grown eighty feet tall
on the side of the mountain
till split by lightning.
But a gardener
carefully pruned it.
It is nine inches high.
Every day as he
whittles back the branches
the gardener croons,
It is your nature
to be small and cozy,
domestic and weak;
how lucky, little tree,
to have a pot to grow in.
With living creatures
one must begin very early
to dwarf their growth:
the bound feet,
the crippled brain,
the hair in curlers
the hands you
love to touch.





     Marge Piercy was born March 31, 1936 in Detroit.  She lived through the depression and was deeply affected by it.  She was the first person in her family to attend college.  Her poetry often addresses feminist and social issues. 
     Bonsai is a Japanese art form using miniature trees grown in containers.  This tradition dates back thousands of years. 
     Although Piercy was clearly talking about Bonsai trees, I saw a deeper meaning in the poem.  I think that she is saying we, as people, have so much potential but it is never put to use.  The third line of the poem really stood out to me.  She says could have grown eighty feet tall, which is referring to the tree.  Her word choice is what really struck me.  Piercy uses the words could have, as in the tree had the potential to be something great and magnificent. It goes on to say how a gardener kept it at nine inches tall and from reaching its true potential.  I compared this to humans.  We are all capable of achieving great things, but we are not brought up to our full potential.  Lines 20 through 24 I didn't quite understand.  In line 20, it thought of foot binding, which was used in Chinese culture, but I'm not sure if I'm on the right path there or not...

1 comment:

  1. I like your pictures you've added! Fun addition to the poem's imagery.

    I totally agree with you when you say: "I think that she is saying we, as people, have so much potential but it is never put to use."

    ReplyDelete