Sunday, March 20, 2011

you fit into me

Margaret Atwood

you fit into me
like a hook into an eye

a fish hook
an open eye

This is a very short poem made up of two couplets.  There isn't a rhyme scheme.

The first two lines refer to a hook and an eye.  The hook and eye that Atwood is talking about are sewing tools.  It starts off with a happy, lovey dovey tone to it. 













The next two lines go to reveal it's not the type of hook and eye first assumed.  The happy tone quickly turns into a not so cheerful, painful tone.  Although this is a short poem, it certainly says a lot. Maybe she was inspired because somebody stabbed her in the back.....or eye.

4 comments:

  1. That's what I thought when I read the poem too. This poem is a cool play on words. I love the pictures you used too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know the first part about the hook and eye being sewing tools, so I went straight to the graphic eye puncturing, but now I see you're totally right about the first part being nice and the second part being the only painful part of the poem. Awesome post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is an excellent post on a tiny, little poem! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. From Elise: "Your simple response really adds meaning to the short poem.  The pictures really add to the overall explaining that you do, and I can totally see your point about how you say the tone changes from cheerful to painful."

    ReplyDelete